Oneness - True Faith
I heard
Jihad means Spiritual discipline and not fighting? Posted on: 2006/5/3 7:19
=->I heard
Can any Muslim who knows really a full definition of Jihad, please post up a list of definitions of the word, as someone told me in its true meaning, is about giving up self and giving all to Allah, is that correct?
Transfer Print PDF Bookmark Top
qOLOp
Re: Jihad means Spiritual discipline and not fighting? Posted on: 2006/5/5 11:33
=->qOLOp
wikipedia is your friend here

Jihad (Arabic: جهاد ǧihād) is an Islamic term, from the Arabic root ǧhd ("to exert utmost effort, to strive, struggle"), which connotes a wide range of meanings: anything from an inward spiritual struggle to attain perfect faith to a political or military struggle to further the Islamic cause. To those the neologism "jihadist" is sometimes applied.

The term is frequently translated into English as "holy war", however, the concept encompasses more than just warfare. The denotation is of a struggle, challenge or difficulty, (frequently) opposed effort, made either in accomplishment or resistance. A person who engages in any form of jihad is called a mujahid (in plural: mujahadin), (Arabic: striver, struggler). He might engage in fighting as a military struggle for religious reasons, or for example, struggle to memorize the Qur'an.
Transfer Print PDF Bookmark Top
Top Previous Topic Next Topic
Register To Post