Oneness - True Faith
FounderofTTM
Not necessarily a quote, but a great thing to read! Posted on: 2004/8/13 14:12
Just popping in
How Should We Pray?

Submit yourselves, then, to God. James 4:7

Have you ever wondered why we hold our hands the way we do when we pray? This common gesture of palms and fingers touching in a kind of steeple originated in the shackling of prisoners' hands. Joined hands reflected a slave's submission to his master. Christians adopted these gestures as a sign of a believer's complete dependence on God through Christ.The key word for both these gestures is submission. Early Christians realized that prayer was to be undertaken in all humility, trusting that God in His wisdom would answer their requests appropriately. They knew that prayer was not a list of demands, as though God were a magic genie. They also understood that prayer was not to be a bargaining tool with the Divine - "If You do this for me, then I will . . ." They remembered that God was God and they were only humans. They understood humble submission. Jesus Himself is our model of submission. Facing a terrible death on the cross, He prayed so fervently that His sweat fell mixed with blood. Still we hear nothing but submission to the Father's will in His prayer: "Yet not as I will, but as You will" (Matthew 26:39). Through faith in Christ, Jesus' perfect submission becomes our own, leading us to entrust our burdens to God in prayer. He makes us confident in God's care.

Lord, work in me an attitude of humble submission and trust that is reflected in my prayers. Amen.

God Bless you all!
Autumn
Founder of The Truth Ministries
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheTruthMinistries
Transfer Print PDF Bookmark Top
Top Previous Topic Next Topic
Register To Post